The Office of the Vice President for Research and Innovation recognizes and highlights the work of its faculty and staff members through awards and honors for the excellence and distinction of their work. Annual awards are presented across the array of endeavors that are essential to the mission of the university.
Outstanding Research Awards
The Vice President for Research and Innovation, the Office of the Provost, and the Graduate School annually host and sponsor the Outstanding Achievement Awards, which include the Outstanding Research Awards, the Distinguished Teaching Awards, the Williams Fellows and the Excellence Award for Outstanding Faculty Mentorship in Graduate Studies.
Outstanding Research Awardees receive commendation from the Office of the Vice President for Research and Innovation. In AY 2018-19, the awards included $1,000 (or $2,500 for a team) in research support, a recognition memento, and a highlight of their work in internal and external communications.
AY 2019-2020 - Deadline Extended to April 24, 2020
This call is open to the UO campus for nominations and self-nominations for the four outstanding research awards listed below for the 2019-20 year.
- Outstanding Career Award: Tenured faculty at the associate or full professor rank (must be an active, full-time UO employee), employed by the UO for at least seven years, track record of distinguished scholarship and external recognition and support of such efforts, and national/international prominence in their field of research.
- Early Career Award: Tenure-track assistant professor, appointed for at least three consecutive terms at the UO prior to nomination, a track record of significant scholarship and emergent recognition and support of such efforts, and a productive and impactful scholarly record.
- Outstanding Accomplishment Award NTTF Researcher: Career, full-time non-tenure track faculty appointment employed by the UO. This individual must have served as a PI on extramurally awarded projects submitted through the UO, have a track-record of research independence, and have a substantial and impactful scholarly record OR they must have documented record of providing exceptional and innovative technical support to UO researchers.
- Innovation and Impact Award: This award recognizes contributions by faculty and staff from all academic disciplines. The award is given to an outstanding individual or team that distinguished themselves and the university through entrepreneurial activities that resulted in innovations with a measurable societal or environmental impact and/or individuals whose broader public engagement activity has proactively shared their research or viewpoints on research and policy issues with the public via traditional and/or new media channels. These efforts reflect an important factor of our mission to create and disseminate knowledge across all disciplines, and put it to work to benefit the community, the region, and the world.
Nominations or self-nominations via Nomination Submission Form are due by Friday, April 24, 2020 for full consideration.
AY 2018-19 Award Winners
- John Bellamy Foster and Jim Hutchison - Outstanding Career Awards
- Aaron Galloway, Nichole Kelly, and Lauren Lanhan - Early Career Awards
- Michael Raymer - Innovation and Impact Award
- Sameer Shende - Outstanding Accomplishment by a Non-Tenure-Track Faculty Researcher
More information on the 2019 award winners can be found here in Around the O.