All proposals for external funding must be reviewed and approved by Sponsored Projects Services. This is accomplished by creating an Electronic Proposal Clearance (EPCS) record. The EPCS record must be completed and finalized a minimum of three business days prior to the due date. Faculty and staff are not authorized to submit proposals for the university without SPS review and approval. Please contact your Pre-Award Sponsored Projects Administrator for further detail.
All proposals submitted -- in hard copy or electronically -- by UO faculty, students or staff to external funding sources (public and private sponsors) must be reviewed, cleared and endorsed by SPS on behalf of the university prior to submission. The following activities are handled by and through SPS:
- Assistance with the preparation of application forms and guidelines, required proposal certifications, and institutional information required by sponsors such as audit reports or tax ID.
- Preliminary review and approval (expedited by E-PCS or e-mail) of budgets before final proposal clearance. Budget instructions and rates are posted on SPS's web site and updated annually.
- Compliance areas such as human subjects or animal use are certified on proposals as approved or pending approval by institutional committees.
- An E-PCS record must be completed for each proposal submission, at which point it will be reviewed (along with the proposal) by SPS. After record is approved by SPS the PI should finalize it so the appropriate institutional approvals can be obtained.
- Mailing of the proposal if all required copies are provided before the deadline.
SPS is available for questions and assistance at every step of the proposal process. Review and approval by SPS of complete and final proposals require three days. Early contact with SPS staff is strongly encouraged to help ensure efficient and timely clearance and submission of all types of applications.